Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Master Beggar



This doesn't really speak of how I feel now about my vocation, it resonated with me this time four years ago, shortly after I'd been received into the Church. But I was reminded of it recently and wanted to blog it, even if just to share this beautiful poem with a slightly wider audience.

The Master Beggar

Worse than the poorest mendicant alive,
the pencil man, the blind man with his breath
of music shaming all who do not give,
are You to me, Jesus of Nazareth.

Must You take up Your post on every block
of every street? Do I have no release?
Is there no room of earth that I can lock
to Your sad face, Your pitiful whisper “Please”?

I seek the counters of time’s gleaming store
but make no purchases, for You are there.
How can I waste one coin while You implore
with tear-soiled cheeks and dark blood-matted hair?

And when I offer You in charity
pennies minted by love, still, still You stand
fixing Your sorrowful eyes on me.
Must all my purse be emptied in Your hand?

Jesus, my beggar, what would You have of me?
Father and mother? the lover I long to know?
The child I would have cherished tenderly?
Even the blood that through my heart’s valves flow?

I too would be a beggar. Long tormented,
I dream to grant You all and stand apart
with You on some bleak corner, tear-frequented,
and trouble mankind for its' human heart.


Jessica Powers became a Carmelite nun, Sr Miriam of the Holy Spirit.

I was reminded of this because my friend piF, who is a composer, has set this to music for me, and is having it performed at the RNCM in Manchester in February. Isn't that so lovely?! He is marvellous, he's just written to the Carmelites to ask for permission, but I can't imagine them saying no, it's not like he's going to be making a profit from it!

Just had such a blessed weekend at the Youth 2000 festival in Glastonbury. Will blog about it soon. I also met Hannah, who commented on my last post about the Poor Clares in Galway, although we didn't have much chance to talk. Anyway, perhaps more on that soon.

May God give you His peace!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so sweet. Thanks for introducing me to the poem.

Just writing off for copywite now. Reverend Mother sent me the most kind and beautiful letter with the form I am to send off.

God bless you!

p

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home